Why did Trump really ban travel from China???
The talking point that Trump keeps returning to is that he very quickly, very early, and in an unprecedented move banned travel from China. It was by far the best move Trump has done to counter the spread of Covid-19. Unfortunately, he then squandered any advantage that this move provided. The subsequent inaction and trivialization of the coronavirus threat will cost thousands of Americans their lives. This then begs the question of why did he do it? So now I am going to try something very dangerous and attempt to see the world through Trump’s eyes.
In order of increasing likelihood what was Trump’s motivation for blocking travel from China:
What he wants you to believe but is out of the realm of possibility and is contradicted by numerous subsequent statements and actions-
1) He is a stable genius and had more foresight than the experts.
2) He really gets this stuff and had a good grasp of the dangers to come and took measures to stop them.
Maybe just maybe-
3) He was presented with a variety of measures by his advisors and chose the least disruptive.
4) He was presented with a variety of measures by his advisors and chose the easiest to implement.
5) He was presented with a variety of measures by his advisors and chose the one that he thought would reflect upon him best.
I can see this-
6) He was presented with a variety of measures by his advisors and used eeny meeny miny moe.
Would this help you sleep at night?-
7) He has one remaining intelligent advisor who got him to do the right thing by appealing to his racist baser instincts.
8) He is a raging narcissist who jumped at the opportunity to flex his muscle.
And the most likely reason Trump opted to block travel from China-
9) He is vindictive and jumped at the opportunity to punish China for his failed trade war under the guise of legitimate pretenses.